What is the SFBac?
The SFBac is a certification framework to highlight the learning experience of students in Sixth Form Colleges which can be summarised in the phrase “subjects, skills, values, breadth”. The SFBac will give the assurance that Sixth Form College students come out of secondary education with more than just qualifications – they will be prepared for continuing education, life, work and citizenship.
The following colleges deliver the SFBac:-
Brooke House Sixth Form College, London
Godalming College, Surrey
Newham Sixth Form College , London
Wyggeston and Queen Elizabeth I College, Leicester
General Aims of the SFBac Award
- To define and endorse the philosophy of the all-round education in sixth form colleges on the basis of subjects, skills, values, and breadth
- To recognise the diversity of student learning programmes to ensure that their educational experience isn’t just about taking exams
- To help prepare students for continuing education, life, work and citizenship.
- To add value to student applications into further and higher education by recognising the full range of courses, activities and experiences which a sixth form college curriculum provides
- To provide a flexible, non-prescriptive and inclusive certification framework – a ‘high trust, low maintenance’ award
- To be a kite-mark of curriculum quality rather than a qualification in its own right.
Click here to view the SFBac framework
The Trident Group works in partnership with SFCA to provide the quality assurance and administration of the award. To view their webpage please click here
The Institute of Education have been involved in the development and implementation of the SFBac. To view their report outlining their findings of the first year of the Pilot, click here.
Whole Education - The SFBac are now partners of Whole Education. Whole Education lobbies for all young people to have a ‘rounded education’ and many organisations have become partners with them. They are holding a number of events this year for Colleges and Schools focusing on curriculum issues and initiatives. Details will be available shortly.
SFBac Award re-launched at 16-19 Summer Conference in partnership with the Trident group
Godalming College awards students with SFBac commendation for outstanding achievement
The College of Richard Collyer students awarded SFBac
For further information on the SFBac please email the SFCA on: firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 0207 187 7349